Dear readers, we have shifted to our new site at www.ksnaps.sg. All updates, articles and other information will be posted on ksnaps.sg effective 17th April 2011. Do catch us there!

Friday, January 28, 2011

[Winter Korea Trip 2010/2011] Day 2: Jeonju - Taeyeon’s Hometown

Waking up numerous times throughout a rather uncomfortable sleepover at the airport the night before, it was finally 5:30 in the morning. I freshened up at a nearby restroom and slipped on my thermal wear. It was time to set off for my first destination - Jeonju.

The journey to Jeonju from the airport was rather simple. I first had to travel to Seoul and then catch a bus that would bring me directly to Jeonju. There were 2 options to get to Seoul - by the limousine bus service or by the subway system. I chose the subway as it was the cheaper and more interesting method. Incheon Airport’s subway station is located in front of the airport terminal and you can reach it either from an overhead bridge or an underpass.

Underpass to the subway station

As I approached the subway station, I walked pass a particular location that seemed very familiar.





Well for those with an excellent memory, I am sure you would have guessed it easily ^^. This was where SNSD filmed their MV for a public campaign with the song, “Hahaha” back in 2009.




Moving on, I arrived at the subway station and as I was approaching the gantries, I noticed there were no T-money (similar to the EZ-link card in Singapore, a contact-less transportation card) sales machines in sight. So I had to purchase a single-trip ticket to the Express Bus Terminal Station. Well it wasn’t as cheap as I had expected at 5300won ( ~S$6.20).

Single Trip ticket


Subway gantry

The subway journey from the airport to the Express Bus Terminal Station is not a direct route and I had to transfer once at Gimpo International Airport Station. I have to say that the Seoul Subway System is foreigner-friendly and it is easy to navigate and plan your journey from one station to another within its waffle-like subway system. It also comes with a fair amount of signage in different languages including English at every station. Even on the trains itself, announcements were made in Korean and English and there were LED boards indicating the locomotive progress of the trains on the tracks. Worried about having to sit on biting-cold train benches? Fret not! The heating systems under every passenger’s seat will keep you warm and positively comfortable.

 Waffle-like Subway System

 Waiting for the subway train

 Inside the subway train

 Locomotive progress of the trains on the tracks

Seat heater

This leg of the journey took about an hour and I was able to get a refund on my deposit of 500won(~S$0.60) from the ticketing machine as soon as I got out. Sitting next to it was the T-money Sales Machine! Though I had no use for a T-money ticket at that moment, I decided to just buy one then just in case.

 Got my refund from this machine

T-Money sales machine

There were 2 types of T-money for sale - the standard 3000won card and the more expensive but compact and stylish 5000won handphone keychain. A T-money keychain does not include any initial monetary value and needs additional cash top-ups for use. It does, however, come with a bunch of discount vouchers for use at various tourist attractions. My decision at that point was to get the standard card and have it topped up with an extra 10,000won.

Standard T-Money card inside the box packaging

Following the signboards, I made my way to the Express Bus Terminal which was a short walk away and went straight for the bus ticketing sales counter.

Bus ticketing sales counter

Because I am not yet quiet fluent in Korean, I thought through several times what I had to say to the sales lady at the counter while queuing. But when it was my turn and I spoke what I had strung together, she quoted me for the more expensive deluxe bus ride! Gosh I was slightly stunned by that long twine of Korean words, not knowing how to reply her at that moment. In the end, I just took my phone out and punched in the numbers 12,200 which was the cost of the normal bus fare, to which she giggled and nodded. And so I got my ticket and waited around till 8:10am to board the bus.

 Bus ticket to Jeonju

My bus to Jeonju

On my way to Jeonju, I noticed several public buses all decorated with Christmas lightings with their drivers dressed in Santa costumes and I found this really interesting.



So it was about a 3-hour long journey to Jeonju and I used that time to catch up on my sleep. There was a toilet break at Jeong-an Service Area halfway during the journey though.

 Jeong-an Service Area

Soon after, I arrived at Jeonju Express Bus Terminal at about 11am. Upon alighting, my first mission was to check-in at a nearby motel and drop off my stuff. Wouldn’t really be able to do much if I were to lug my baggage around. Fortunately, Jeonju Express Bus Terminal is surrounded by numerous motels, rendering it easy to get to one.

 Jeonju Express Bus Terminal

I checked into a motel called “Good Morning Motel” because it was recommended by the Lonely Planet Travel Book. At just 35,000 won a night (~S$41), I got myself a rather spacious room that could accommodate 2 persons comfortably with a queen-sized bed, standard dressing table, fridge and bathroom facilities. It even had a 42” LCD TV! (With naughty channels ㅋㅋㅋㅋ…) Now that’s a great deal! Well I was alone then so I could sleep with my limps stretched out like a starfish ^^.






After settling down, I grabbed my tripod and camera bag and headed out to my first planned hallyu-venue - Taeyeon’s Dad’s Eyeglasses Store, Eyebis at Seodo Plaza.

Deciding to travel by taxi, I went back to the bus terminal to flag for one. It seems that Seodo Plaza is quite well known around the area as the taxi driver knew where it was the moment I mentioned its name. I would soon find out why.

 On my way to Seodo Plaza

As the taxi driver drove me there, I noticed that the buildings in the area were all low in height and when I saw Seodo Plaza, wow it was like a giraffe standing tall among a herd of sheep.

 Seodo Plaza

I didn’t exactly stop at the front entrance. Somehow I alighted and went in from the rear entrance but there were enough advertisements around to show me the way. As it was a Sunday, the plaza seemed really quiet. Luckily the shop was still open. I started off taking a few pictures outside and initially felt a little shy about going inside, but the shop assistant came out and dragged me in! Well I managed to see Taeyeon’s father for a brief moment before he went out. I later found out that he went to visit his mother (Taeyeon’s grandmother) and would be back later on.

 Eyebis

The shop itself is rather big in size. After a quick walk through, I finally saw the famous little room Taeyeon’s father made at the side which is nicknamed, the “Taeyeon Shrine”. Well it isn’t hard to guess why it was given that nickname. The whole room is really dedicated to his daughter with lots of photos of her from throughout her singing career so far, music albums and other display items. And so I deployed my tripod and started snapping away…















After spending a good amount of time admiring the shrine, I went out into the main shop to have a detailed look around. There were pictures of Taeyeon posing with some of the sunglasses they were selling, supposedly to help advertise for her dad’s shop. A check on the price of one of these sunglasses brought horror to my face – a whooping 300,000won (~S$352). Couldn’t afford that sadly.
 


I then went over to the normal eyeglasses frame section and started choosing one that was well within my budget. I then chanced upon one that I really liked. Checking with the assistant again, it would cost me 70,000won for the frame and also the lens to go along with it. It was a deal! =) The assistant then did some checks on my eye and told me to wait 30 minutes. That’s really fast!

 My glasses

And so I loitered around the shop till my spectacles were done but Taeyeon’s dad was still not back! Feeling a little hungry, I decided to go out to grab something to eat and return later. If you have noticed, my last meal was the set from my flight to Incheon Airport. Hungry Hungry…

As soon as I stepped out of the building via the front entrance, I saw this little shop selling some snacks by the side. I decided to try their recommended chicken stick. It was really so darn good, big and tasty! Best thing is that it only costs 1,000won (~S$1.10).


 chicken stick

Across the road, I noticed the signboard of a LAN shop (internet café) and decided to patronize them since I had to gather more information and at the same time, I could contact my friends and family back in Singapore. The rate there is definitely cheaper than Singapore at 1,000won (S$1.10) for 1hr 30mins of internet time!


An hour and a half later, I returned to the eyeglasses store and saw that Taeyeon’s dad was back too!  Hope his mother (Taeyeon’s grandmother) was doing alright. He was slightly busy talking to another customer so I took the liberty to browse through the shades rack in search for a present for my friend and I got him a pair while waiting.


As soon as he was free, his assistant whom was with me told him about my presence and he actually came to talk to me =). He was really friendly and started showing me around, introducing his shop and the Taeyeon Shrine. He sure is proud to have Taeyeon as his daughter. Unfortunately, he soon had other things to attend to and I did not want to hold him up any further. Our meeting was then concluded with me requesting for a picture to be taken together at the shrine. And so I bade Taeyeon’s father and his assistants farewell before I left.


It was around 3pm then and I still had yet to consume my lunch! And so my next destination was to 계경목장 (Kyekyeongmokchang) which is about a kilometer away to have my lunner (lunch + dinner).

계경목장  is a restaurant that have had many stars, including SNSD, visit when they come to Jeonju. Following the map I had on hand, I navigated my way through the quiet residential area that looked exactly like those neighborhoods you see in dramas to get to 계경목장.
 

After a short walk of about 20-30mins, I finally spotted the restaurant! It wasn’t that hard to find it anyway. The unique shape of the building design makes it obvious for anyone looking for it.

계경목장

It did feel a little awkward when I entered the restaurant since it was neither lunch nor dinner time. I was practically the only customer around except for a family that was already wiping their mouths ready to leave. Nevertheless, the restaurant staff brought me to my table after I placed my shoes on the shoe rack. The walkway leading to my table further confirmed that I was at the right restaurant. The corridor wall was lined from one end to the other, with autographs of stars that have been here before, mostly praising the food for its great taste.




 Well it was now my turn to do the tasting! I initially wanted to barbecue some meat but soon learnt that such meals are only for groups of 2 or more. In fact, possibly the whole of Korea follows this rule-of-thumb, and I figured that out after visiting several other restaurants in the later days. The waitress then recommended their Bulgogi and I decided to order just that.

Having only eaten Bulgogi from Singapore, I was expecting something quite similar in standard (just a bowl of rice with some beef and a few pieces of kimchi) but what came out of the kitchen was totally unexpected! A huge bowl of Bulgogi stew, lots of side dishes, a basket filled with lettuce leaves and a bowl of rice! All that for only 6000won(~S$7)?! Wow!


Bulgogi Stew

I have to admit the food really tasted great too! Especially the Bulgogi stew soup. With the cold weather out there, it felt really nice drinking the hot stew soup and eating the meat that had a really nice texture and taste to it. Like if this dish of similar quality and quantity were to be found in Singapore, it would probably cost 2 times more.

 Mmmmm....

Feeling all satisfied from the hearty meal, I said my goodbyes to the restaurant staff after making my payment. Having no other place to visit on schedule, I decided to take a taxi back to the motel since there wasn’t much to see around that area.


Back at the motel while I was climbing the stairs up to my room, I bumped into the motel owner and he was really humorous! Because I mentioned to him before that I am from Singapore, he decided to call me just that. So he went “Hey yoz Singapore!” I laughed and greeted him back before proceeding on to my room.

I was really tired then because I didn’t have much sleep the day before my departure. My sleep at the airport was well, not exactly good either. In fact I would say that I wasn’t enjoying as much as I should have because I was a little sleep deprived! Thus, I decided to have an early and extended rest.
After a quick wash up, I just fell flat on the bed and went to slumber land at 6pm. Zzzz.. Need sleep… *Moans…

7 comments:

  1. Hi does Taeyeon parents speak english or chinese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gerald From what I have experienced, they seem to only speak and understand korean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am planning to visit the spect shop too.. but with my limited (cannot survive) korean. Can I make a pair of spect too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @tanker Sure you can! You could simply let them have a look at your current specs and do some simple checks on your eyes without uttering a single word. They would then sort of duplicate the power onto the new lens =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    I have a few questions. My friends and I are plannning to go to Korea, and we would like to visit Jeonju on the first day of our trip, when we leave the airport, we will go to the motel, then stay in Jeoju for one day before going back to Seoul and staying in a hostel.

    We do not speak a single word of korean except for thsoe we hear from tv shows and SNSD stuff, so we wouldn't be able to communicate with anyone. Will this make our trip to Jeonju very difficult as we will need to purchase a ticket and then a bus ticket?

    Second is when we arrive at Jeonju assuming we get there, will finding the plaza where Taeyeon's father's shop is difficult? How much money should we bring there if we want to purchase a pair of sunglasses with prescription? Because if we just go in there and visit without buying anything it'll seem rude.

    Third is the shop where you ate dinner -- is that place hard to find?

    Finally, is Korea quite safe? We are all 17 year olds and our parents are quite afraid of us getting lost or robbed.

    Thank you very much!

    (Please feel free to email me @ pawnoflove@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Do you know whether the shop open everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice blog. This blog have great and useful information. Thanks for sharing. :)

    eye care store | optical shop singapore

    ReplyDelete